Tuesday 4 November 2014

Modern Fairytales: Three Little Pigs

(Credit to James Orchard Halliwell-Phillips and Joseph Jacobs as the creators/developers of the original story.)

Once upon a time, there was a mother pig. She had three little pigs, who were getting far too big for the pig house, and she said to them, "Children! There is something I must tell you. Now that you are old enough, you can make your own way in the world, there is not enough room for you all."

The first little pig cried "Why, mummy? It's scary out there!"

Mother pig said "You're big enough to take care of yourselves now. I have told you about the ways of the world and it is time for you to be part of it."

The second little pig said "You told us about the wolf, the Big Bad Wolf, how will we be safe, mummy?"

Mother pig replied "You will build houses all of your own, then you will be safe and sound."

The third little pig said "But he will gobble us all up!"

And Mother pig replied "This is what wolves do, but as long as you think carefully about what you're doing, you will be fine!"

The next day, the three little pigs set out, ready to take on the world. They thought long and hard about what mummy had told them. Soon, they came to a junction in the road, and the little pigs all went their separate ways. The first pig went left, the second pig went right, and the third pig went straight on.

Along the way, the first pig met a farmer carrying some straw, and he thought "I could use straw to build my house, that will keep me warm!", so he asked the farmer. "I would like some straw to build a house with, please!", the first little pig said, and the farmer kindly gave him some straw. The first pig went away and built himself a house with the straw and said proudly, "I feel all safe and cosy here, now the wolf won't get me!"

Down the other path, the second pig met a woman carrying some sticks. They were a bit heavy! The second pig asked the woman, "Please, madam, could I have some sticks to build a house with?", and the woman gave the little pig some sticks. "Thank you!" said the little pig, who went away to build a fine stick house. This was a stronger house than the house of straw, and the little pig said "This house is nice and sturdy, I will be safe from the wolf here!"

Further along the last path, the third little pig met a man with a donkey. The man looked puzzled and worried, his donkey could not stand up, as the bricks she was carrying were too heavy. The third pig asked "Please could I have some of your bricks to build a house with?" and the man was happy to give the third pig some of his bricks. It took a while to build, but when it was built, it was a very strong house! The little pig went inside and said "It took some time, but this house is good. The wolf surely cannot get to me here!"

The next day, the Big Bad Wolf was on the prowl. He looked around and saw the first little pig sowing corn and he said to himself, "I see a pig to the east, I see a tasty feast!" and he ran after the little pig. The little pig saw him and ran as fast as he could into the house.

The Big Bad Wolf pounded up to the door, knocked three times and said "Little pig, little pig! Let me in!"

"Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin!" said the little pig.

And the Big Bad Wolf shouted, "Well then.", and looked at the house, "I will huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in!"

And so the wolf huffed, and he puffed and a big blow, he blew down the house of straw. And he gobbled up the first little pig.

The next day, the Big Bad Wolf was walking about, feeling a bit hungry, when he saw the second little pig hanging out wet clothes. The wolf said to himself, "I see a pig to the west, this pig looks the best!" and ran after the second pig. The pig saw him and darted into the stick house.

The Big Bad Wolf pounded up to the door, knocked three times and said "Little pig, little pig! Let me in!"

"Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin!" said the little pig.

And the Big Bad Wolf shouted, "Well then.", and looked at the house, "I will huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in!"

And so the wolf huffed, and he puffed and an even bigger blow, he blew down the house of sticks! And he gobbled up the second little pig.

On the next day, the Big Bad Wolf was out again, rubbing his belly and looking for a tasty meal when he saw the third little pig sitting outside, reading a book in the sunshine. The wolf said, "I see a pig to the south, I want it in my mouth!". The wolf began to pound across to the third little pig, who saw him and got into his house in time.

The Big Bad Wolf pounded up to the door, knocked three times and said "Little pig, little pig! Let me in!"

"Not by the hair of my chinny chin chin!" said the little pig.

And the Big Bad Wolf shouted, "Well then.", and looked at the house, "I will huff, and I'll puff, and I'll blow your house in!"

And so the wolf huffed, and he puffed and with a very big blow...

Nothing happened.

The third little pig shouted from the window, "Are you done yet?"

And the Big Bad Wolf took the biggest huff he could do, and the most massive puff he could do, but still nothing happened.

And the third little pig shouted from inside, "Looks like you're out of puff, Mr Wolf, you can't get me!"

And so the Wolf went away, and the little pig felt safe.

The next morning, the little pig heard a rat-a-tat on his door, so he looked through his window and saw a strange looking man with a hard hat and clipboard. Curiously, he opened the door.

"Hello little pig in this brick house, I hail from the Council planning department!", said the man in the yellow hard hat.

"What is going on? How can I help? I hope I haven't done anything wrong!", the pig enquired.

"This brick pig house shall be decommissioned, for you didn't get planning permission!", replied the man in the hat.

"Oh me, oh my, you will knock down this house! You can't do that, no you shan't do that!", the little pig squealed.

A big vehicle arrived, and it had a wrecking ball. And it swung, and it crashed, and it knocked the house down!

The pig pleaded, "I have nowhere to live! The Big Bad Wolf will eat me, I have nothing to give!"

And the man said, "Pray, do not worry about that!"

Then the man took off his hat, then he took off his mask and there before him was the Big Bad Wolf! And he laughed, and he howled, and he gobbled up the third little pig!

And then the wolf died. And everybody died.

THE END

No comments:

Post a Comment